[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Scheduling Multi-band QSOs in June VHF...

ww1z_1 at juno.com ww1z_1 at juno.com
Mon Jun 21 18:30:39 EDT 2021

I remember reading about that approach. Not just in contesting either.
Mainly for those calling CQ.  Aim the antenna to follow the minute hand.
Non CQ'ers do the opposite. Contest activity hours per band are one hour
long. Thus those hunting and pouncing then know when those calling CQ are
aiming their way. If you live in an area with no activity in certain
directions, those are the time to hunt and pounce and not call CQ. As I
recall the activity nights also had start times perhaps for this reason.
I do not remember call signs but I seem to recall several prominent
midwest VHF stations encouraged this approach. I think this approach
still has merit.

John WW1Z

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 01:14:56 -0400 Charles Morrison <junkcmp at gmail.com>
writes:
> [...]
> >
> > Gerry Hull, *W1VE  *Hancock, NH USA
> > VA1CWO | VO1WIN | VY2CDX | VE9XDX | VE2NEN
> > VE3AII | VE4CDX | VY1AAA | NS1DX | VE1RM
> > CWOps #191 | YCCC | CanAm Contest Coalition | Maritime Contest
> Club
> > RadioSport Manitoba | ARRL | RAC | QCWA
> >

> > On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM <ww1z_1 at juno.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Contest activity hours potentially work best in the January
> contest.
> > > Minimal six meter e-skip. Next in the September contest, some
> but rarely
> > > a lot of six meter e-skip. Hardest in the June contest as when
> six is
> > > open work six meters. Another thing that may work against the
> activity
> > > hour approach is with the first QSO with a station and then
> running the
> > > bands.
> > >
> > > As I recall the activity hours ran some thing like this:
> > >
> > > 6:  12:00 to 1:00 and 6:00 to 7:00
> > > 2:    1:00 to 2:00 and 7:00 to 8:00
> > > 222: 2:00 to 3:00 and 8:00 to 9:00
> > > 432:  3:00 to 4:00 and 9:00 to 10:00
> > > mW:  4:00 to 5:00 and 10:00 to 11:00
> > >
> > > AM or PM the times apply.
> > > There are some built in hour break times.  Unless six is open!
> Or some
> > > good tropo.
> > >
> > > At this point I guess it will take some of the better stations to
> follow
> > > these times and be consistently on till most everyone else
> learns to
> > > follow along.
> > >
> > > May be harder on big multi-op stations if too much activity is
> > > concentrated on the higher bands at a few set hours during a
> contest.
> > >
> > > May be easier on smaller multi-op stations with just a few
> operators as
> > > they may be able to ignore some bands outside of the activity
> hours.
> > >
> > > John, WW1Z

> particular band
> it’s time

> when
> of high
> be a

> is
> come

> would
> point
> people must

> with
> arrange
> considerably. If
> getting

> last few
> on
> If you
> and
> bands, or
> WSJT.
> rooms,
> where
> making
> Contest

> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> > > Choose to be safer online.
> > > Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
> > > Plans starting as low as $6.95 per month.*

https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&u
tm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_conte
nt=tag695&promoCode=A34454