[VHFcontesting] Maine Wind Power

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Mar 9 09:09:59 EST 2022

I made a simple mistake and got the decimal point in the wrong spot. I
am paying about 25 cents per kwh not 2 1/2 cents. Sorry, but that
decimal point sure messed up the story!

The electric company in Maine is under attack as it is owned by a
foreign corporation, (Boo... Hiss...) and if that wasn't enough, they
had lots of losses from a few wind and ice storms that hurt the bottom
line. They managed to get an 85% rate increase and our electric rates
really jumped up.   So running a 1500 watt linear amp consumes about3000
to 3300 watts of AC power.  A 48 hour contest will cost you about $20 now.

My electric bill is front loaded, so using more power nets you a drop in
the kWh rate, but the 24.9 cent figure was based on a usage of about
1500 kWh per month.

Dave K1WHS