[VHFcontesting] Mt. Washington NH & Acadia National Park- Cadillac Mount

Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Oct 12 14:30:21 EDT 2022

Hey Chris

Long time no hear. What I can offer is pretty old and anecdotal.
IMO, FN54 is not rare on 2m...there has always been 1-2 active ops
there. Above 2m; not sure.
To me, FN51 is quite rare. Took me a long long time to work it. Can't
recall if I finally got it on 6 and 2 both, but one band. Was a guy in a
contest sitting in his car I think. K1ZM has a house out there (I think)
Jeff may know more about that area.

I have operated from Cadillac Mtn but it was in 1992 and only for an
hour or so.  I used 25w SSB (2m) and a funny looking horizontal
collinear antenna much like a Hz dipole on a fiberglass stick on a
Plymouth K-Car trunk.  IIRC I was able to work as far south as PA with
that rinky dink setup.(I may have switched to CW for the PA QSO)

I've been up Mt. Washington a few times and listened on the FM radio and
I think kerchunked a few dozen FM repeaters with a 1w HT but no real
operating. I bet it's fantastic on VHF SSB/CW.

I also bet both mountains have restrictions about operating at night !

The New England boys will be along soon and give you much more fresh and
accurate into.

73 de Mike VE9AA FN66 next door in NB