[VHFcontesting] Mt. Washington NH & Acadia National Park- Cadillac Mount

Howard Reynolds wa3eoq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:26:57 EDT 2022

Several years ago, the xyl and I hiked up Mt. Washington.  Heeding the dire
signs at the trailhead of "The Worst Weather on the Continent" or maybe the
world, I stuffed a day pack wth parkas, etc. and we headed up the trail.
At the top, we experienced what must have been the calmest, clearest wx of
the century.  Another time we drove up and the car door almost got blown
off when I opened it.

There is definitely lots of RF on top of the mountain.  WHOM-FM is
grandfathered at 48kW, however the television station Channel 8 (Still with
the Callsign WMTW - hi) has moved their transmitter closer to Portland, ME
to be nearer to large population areas.  But there are still lots of other
RF sources up there.

I have been told (not verified) that one problem with operating from Mt.
Washington is that the summit is above the tropo layer which could be a
problem with that propagation mode.
WA3EOQ