[VHFcontesting] Suggestion for the ARRL June VHF contest

Sean Waite waisean at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:24:56 EDT 2022

I'm sort of in between contesting, but have slowly started to get stuff
together to start getting back into it.

I'm not sure that this plan would be terribly effective at accomplishing
what you want to accomplish. Yes, we've heavily spinning towards digital
modes, but there are still some multi mode ops out there.

It also impacts the rovers quite a bit, it's a lot of effort for us to get
out there and operate, and doing it over 3 weekends means that you'll
likely have far fewer on the road. Rochester and some other areas have
proven that active rovers really helps drive activity, and if we divide
them up among weekends it won't be a great thing. Even for the non-rovers,
3 full weekends is a ton of work and hard to do. Not every HF op runs every
HF contest. We'd also have more conflicts with the more popular HF
contests, reducing available ops further.

I believe that it's better to encourage operations on multiple modes over
one weekend rather than divide it among multiple. HF contests can be super
busy and we don't have time to work a station multiple times on multiple
modes, but aside from the largest stations VHF ops have plenty of downtime.
Look at something like the  10m contest for a similar feel, a single
weekend and not divided up.

73/Yours in Scouting
Sean Waite, WA1TE