[VHFcontesting] Suggestion for the ARRL June VHF contest

Paul Stoetzer n8hm at arrl.net
Wed Oct 26 19:54:44 EDT 2022

The problem I have with this is that VHF awards and contests have always
been mode agnostic and cross-mode QSOs are acceptable unlike on HF (I’ve
made a few long range QSOs calling a station in CW while they are working
SSB). This would break that tradition.

Maybe you could work each station twice for credit: digital and Phone/CW. I
wouldn’t want to split up phone and CW, though, in order to preserve
cross-mode QSOs.

I do agree that encouraging non-FT8 activity is a good way to go. I was
listening to 12m for a bit today and it was wide open to Europe, but I
heard no phone or CW activity in the 10 minutes I was listening - all
activity on the band was on FT8. I love FT8, but I find it unfortunate that
it is crowding every other mode out for both casual operating and VHF
contests.

73,

Paul, N8HM