[VHFcontesting] Radios Used For 222MHz

CHRISTOP PATTERSON w3cmp at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 19:12:46 EDT 2022

Hello all -

Planning for a return to VHF/UHF upon retirement at end of year.  I am impressed by the activity reports from 222MHz, and am thinking of adding it to the station.  I have never been on the band and am curious what most people are using for radios -  Transverters are the norm, but what about the IF radios, antennas and amplifiers?  What is considered adequate power for most work, other than enough to melt the solder on a connector?  Besides W6PQL amps, if Jim is still making them, Lunar Link, and Larcan conversions, what amplifiers and power levels are most people using? Has anyone successfully modified a 2 meter Commander II for 222MHz?  Same for antennas.  Looks like Terry and Directive Systems, M2 and perhaps MFJ/CC are the players.  What are the preferred antenna setups for non-eme general use?  Thanks for your responses.

73,  Chris W3CMP