[VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:06:14 EDT 2022

Fred you are SO YOUNG!!!!!!

bill
________________________________
From: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting-bounces+callbill=hotmail.com at contesting.com> on behalf of Fred Stefanik <n1dpmfred at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 2:12 AM
To: k3sk at buckwalter.co <k3sk at buckwalter.co>
Cc: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?

I think there's a few factors....

1.  FT8 operations as the "norm" have driven a number of people away
from VHF contesting.  I for one am one of those people.... Now with
the analog only category it seems to be starting to breathe some new
life back into the contest.  I wasn't able, because of other
commitments, to get on except for late Sunday night towards the end
and I found "plenty" of activity on SSB then to satisfy me whereas
before it would have been ALL FT8.  There is as Paul says a place for
FT8, but that is not cranking out contact numbers, but where it's too
marginal for a CW contact.

2.  The ham population is aging (if you haven't noticed).  I'm 61 and
still feel like a "kid" in this hobby!  There are some new younger
ones joining the ranks but it is uncommon!  I remember how old hams
"crabbed" about the new hams that gained interest in the late 70's as
a result of the CB radio boom.  I'm one of those guys!  Ham radio has
been one of the best things in my life as it allowed and helped propel
me through my professional career in the broadcast transmitter
business.  I am mentoring a "kid" at work in RF and he's catching on
and I've suggested that he look into this hobby as it will help with
his understanding  (and because I still think it's cool).  I have a
number of mentors to thank, such as my older brother WA1CYK, W1KK,
W1QWJ, WA1UQC (all SK) and NC1I, K1WHS, W1VD, KA1ZE (W3XTT), WB1FVS
and MANY more....So regardless of the origin of new hams, anyone that
is a young newcomer to the hobby from wherever....help them out and
give them guidance and mentoring to help them enjoy the hobby and
learn, or this hobby will go the way of the dinosaur!

3.  (or 2A)  As the hobby's population ages there are more and more
SK's by percentage every month / year, the pandemic notwithstanding!
Think of how many hams we all know that have become SK's in say the
last 5 years (about how long FT8 has been popular). They need to be
remembered but also need to be replaced (that dinosaur thing again).
Somehow I think that guys like K1WHS will never get old (or maybe
never grow up to be an adult, maybe a more accurate statement!)

So all in all I think this FT8 / analog only category will help things
head in the right direction (in my opinion) but it will take time to
reach equilibrium.

73
Fred
N1DPM