[VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?

Mark Spencer markspencer at outlook.com
Tue Sep 13 14:31:04 EDT 2022

In my view approx 20 to 25 years or so ago there seemed to be more options for out of the box VHF / UHF gear.   I recall both Icom and Yeasu had affordably priced HF/VHF/UHF gear, plus more VHF oriented stuff like yeasu FT736’s, various Icom radios etc and there were COTS (commercial off the shelf) solutions for 222 MHz (other than transverters) etc were available (I may be a bit off on the dates.) I don’t recall what Kenwood may have had on the market at that time.

I still have and regularly use my Icom 706mkIIG’s.   One of them was purchased new just before Icom replaced it with the 7000 ?  It still works fine and has helped me activate a number of rare and semi rare grids in VE7 land over the years.

  That being said I do like using my newer  7300, 9700 some Demi stuff etc and they do seem to work better (:

I do think my first 706 got me hooked on VHF and up weak signal operation many years ago.  There don’t seem to be quite as many similar radios on the market today.

Working from CN89 to CN85 on 2M with 50 watts into a four element beam from my low altitude home qth was a major confidence builder for me and caused me to spend more time and money on that part of my ham radio hobby.

Today I hear of some new comers to the VHF weak signal scene buying less powerful radios (ie Icom 705’s) and using them from home on 2M and 70 cm.   I cringe a bit, but they are using their own money to spend as they wish.

The current negative comments I see and hear from time to time about COTS “brick” power amps also may be discouraging some hams from getting more power in my view.   Given how quiet the bands seem to be in my part of VE7 land, I would like to see and hear more people running more power (:

In my view not every one is going to leap into buying amps with multi $K price tags or be prepared to deal with converting surplus commercial amps as a first step.

Re FT8 I see pros and cons.  I choose to use it but I respect the views of those who don’t.  I’ll leave it at that.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ

Sent from my iPhone