[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity from the north

Paul N1BUG FN55mf paul at n1bug.com
Wed Sep 14 08:24:41 EDT 2022

I only managed six QSOs: K1WHS, WZ1V, N1SV, K1PXE, W1AIM, N1JEZ.
Apparently I don't count very well as I just told a friend I worked five
stations last night! Sheesh! Conditions didn't seem good, probably due
to the rain everywhere else and rapidly approaching here. Thanks for the
contacts! I tried with K1DS but nothing was heard at either end.

The last two weeks I enjoyed brief chats with K1WHS right off the bat,
first QSO for both of us as far as I know. Those are always enjoyable.
Dave was one of my inspirations when I got started on VHF back in the
mid 1980s. His station was always easily readable, even if he was
pointed the other way and I wasn't pointed at FN43mj. I knew I would
never work a tenth of what his station did being so much further north
and not on a hill and not having multi-yagi arrays in the upper
atmosphere, HIHI! But it always inspired me to strive to improve my 2
meter station, and eventually add more bands. Dave was one of my early 2
meter EME initials, back when I had a single Cushcraft 4218XL with no
elevation and about a kW. We could hear each other direct and to this
day I still distinctly remember Dave sending two or three characters,
then pausing to allow me to hear the echo without QRM from his direct
signal. I took that as a cue and did the same. I am still inspired by
his work getting the station sorted out and having all sorts of
interesting projects going.

I will probably be on 432 tonight with my killer 25 watts!

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf