[VHFcontesting] Tuesday Night is 222 night!

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 3 10:33:35 EST 2023

Hi VHFers

There are many reasons to get on 222 MHz.  It is a fantastic VHF band
much like 144 MHz for propagation, but with slightly smaller antennas
and a much lower noise floor.  In hopes of promoting VHF, I recounted to
the local ham club, a contact I had on 222 MHz back in 2021 in the 222 &
Up Contest with W2RMA/4 who was on the Hogback overlook on Skyline Drive
in Western VA.  The band was not enhanced, but we still managed to make
a random contact with W2RMA using a portable HB yagi and a low cost E
Bay 40 watt solid state PA .  The elements were attached with
clothespins.  The radio club members yawned and did not seem to realize
that you could make a 500 mile contact on VHF when using tiny yagis and
low power. Their idea of VHF revolves around Baofeng hand helds and
rubber ducks. But we know better!

Tuesday evening is a great time to exercise your VHF gear on 222 MHz.
Activity levels have been inching up and it is not uncommon for a well
equipped station in the NYC area to make 20 or more contacts over the
evening.  For my part, I am hoping to get on, but I may have problems as
I have not been in the shack since the last two really bad storms in
December. My road washed out down at the bottom of the hill, so driving
is not possible even with no snow.  I have to walk up and drag along a
computer and get it all connected up. Then there is the problem of no
way to haul diesel fuel up there either. The delivery truck idea is  not
possible as the road up will not accommodate anything but a 4WD vehicle
with high clearance.  I might end up running 20 watts from the
transverter on battery power. Still, I am hoping to be QRV and I hope
that the antenna still turns. It took a beating in the last wind and
rain storm. Several hams here in Northern New England lost towers in
that storm. I have been removing trees near my towers and did not suffer
any mishaps, but there are still more trees that need removal. It is a
lot of work!!

The plan is for everyone to get on Tuesday night and look for QSOs.
There is much activity in the Northeast, but there is also very good
activity in the DelMarVA area with KO4YC and WA3EOQ, WA3NUF is trying to
build activity near Phily.  N1GC is a beacon in EM95, and there is some
great activity as you get into the midwest. K9MRI, AA9MY, K8TQK, N8WNA
and others are banging away there. W5EME in Louisiana gets on along with
W4ZST in GA at times. Their plan is to be there should someone get a 222
setup hooked up and go looking for a signal.  Just about everyone uses
the ON4KST 144/432 Region 2 Chat page for online liaison. It gets busy
but can be quite effective in setting up skeds for areas outside of
normal local contact range.  I am out today moving stone displaced by
running water in hopes that I can repair the road enough to make it
driveable again. I plan to be QRV just before 00:00 UT around 222.100.
CU there!

73

Dave K1WHS