[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night update

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 3 11:37:25 EST 2023

I just got back from repair work on the road up to my VHF shack. I
collected and hauled all the stone that washed away and filled in the
bad spots so that now I can drive up to the shack. I am really psyched
as this means that I can retrieve delicate gear from there and batten
things down for the winter. It looks like tonight will be my last
scheduled 222 night until later in March (Unless we get unseasonably
warm wx)  I was amazed as some of the 1.5-3" stone had all washed away
about 125 ft from the road. It is amazing how much power is in running
water. The good news was that the stone collected in certain spots, so
it was easy to dig them out and haul them back with 5 gallon buckets.  I
had cleared the rest of the road last week of downed trees and limbs, so
it is now passable.

My first order of business is to haul another 12 gallons of diesel fuel
up the hill while I can. I am hoping the diesel generator runs, the
heater works, and my 222 antenna is undamaged. If so, I will be QRV with
my normal signal starting at 7 PM EST or 00:00 UT.  Wx today is 34
degrees and drizzle here in the Pine Tree State. I hope it does not turn
to snow!

73

Dave K1WHS

What a hobby!!