[WriteLog] KI0LO SOABLP 2000 RTTY WPX

Marty Tippin martyt@pobox.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:40:22 -0600

2000 World-Wide RTTY WPX Contest

     CALL: KI0LO (at W0NKL)
LOCATION: Kansas
    CLASS: Single Operator, All Band, Low Power

Band    QSOs  Pts  WPX
80m:     80   192   12
40m:    119   312   46
20m:    194   323  112
15m:    233   465   72
10m:    165   379   70
---------------------
TOTAL   791  1671  312

Claimed Score:  521352

  Station: Yaesu FT-920, HAL DXP-38, Writelog v10.14e, P5-166
Antennas: Mosley Pro-67C at 150 ft (40-10m)
           Dipole at 125 ft (80m)
    Power: 100w

SOAPBOX: Well, this was different. Conditions from middle America on Friday
night and most of Saturday were absolutely horrific. I've never seen
anything like it - signals from Europe, Japan, even USA all had that
hollow, fluttery sound. But my hats off to HAL for the performance of
the  DXP-38 - pulled signals almost out of thin air and wasn't bothered at
all by the aurora-induced mess. Sunday was much improved, however, and I
had a great time working all over Europe. Where were all the Africans?
Other than a couple of South African stations, I don't think I heard anyone
else from Africa at all.

Originally hoped to top 1000 Q's (about 200 better than last year) but
wound up only 11 Q's better, I think due to the absolute loss of Saturday
morning's anticipated opening to Europe. Interestingly, though, my score is
roughly 80k better than last year, due to spending a lot more time on 40
and 80m and even working some DX  on 80 (first time across the pond for me
on 80m!).

My biggest question for the others in this contest: Where were all the
packet spots?? This is one of the few contests where DX spotting is
permitted in all classes - sure would have been nice if more spots were out
there. What? You don't have a VHF packet cluster? So what - use any of the
internet clusters that permit telnet access - Writelog has this built right
in; no crazy networking tricks required. I spotted as many as I could -
hope it was helpful to others!

Thanks again this year to Jim W0NKL for the use of his fabulous station -
that Mosley at 150 ft is a talker for sure from here in the black hole of
the midwest! And thanks to all those who worked me - it was a great
contest, aside from the propagation challenges!

73

-Marty KI0LO
  martyt@pobox.com

-----