[WriteLog] 1000MP won't key CW from Writelog, and other items of a first time user

jrb@us.ibm.com jrb@us.ibm.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:31:26 -0500

Just used the program for the first time in a contest and I have a few
questions:

1)  I am experiencing EXACTLY the same symptoms as Roy, but with a Kenwood
TS-440S, and would also appreciate any suggestions.  Though I suspect that
my problems are due to a poor selection of a substitute transistor for the
circuit outlined in the help file, I would still be interested in learning
about other possibilities.  With my current setup the resistance on the CW
line switches between about 1K and 700 ohms (while that my outboard keyer,
which works fine, switches the line between about 1K and 200 ohms).  I
suspect that the key down resistance of 700 ohms is in the gray area:  the
line only switches far enough to trigger the rig to transmit and generate a
side tone, but not far enough to key the RF.  I assume that once I put in
the 2n2222 all will be fine.

2)  I have a question about how RTTYWrite highlights call signs.  Any dupe
station successfully highlights red, but highlighting of needed stations
did not work as I expected.  Though RTTYWrite successfully decoded lots of
call signs, it rarely highlighted any.  And when it did highlight, it was
often not a call.  For example, W1AW would not get highlighted but
something like WJHQWGEJ would.  I assume I do not have something set up
properly in the program.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3)  My last question has to do with how to produce a electronic file for
contest submission with the on and off times indicated.  I specified my
on/off times, and they appear in my log on the screen.  When I produce a
cabrillo file of my log, however, I do not see the on/off times.  I have
indicated my on/off times in the soapbox field, but I assume there is a
better way to do this.  Any suggestions?

In any case, this past weekend was the first time I used the program in a
contest, and it worked like a champ compared with using paper as I had in
the past.  What great fun!

73,
Jeff
KC2CRO