[WriteLog] Call in entry wind bug? help - pse read (sri long)

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:20:16 -0500

I made some posts during the NAQP about some problems I had using
Writelog v10.17f during the NAQP.  I just now tried to
reproduce/characterize the problem a little further, and this time I
used v10.18a.  Note:  I have used the same configuration WITHOUT
problems with whatever version I had before v10.17f.  ?10.16 and earlier

First, the basic configuration:
WIN98SE
Rig1: MARK-V, 100W, various antennas and feedlines
TNC1: soundcard/Rttyrite
Rig2: IC-706MKIIG, 100W, C31XR
TNC2: DXP-38
Rig control operating for both radios.  No webcluster use (FORBIDDEN!)

PROBLEM:  I could use either rig successfully for a few Q's, then THE
PROBLEM would rear it's head!  The callsign in the ENTRY window would be
echoed in the RTTYRITE window in BLUE as always, then a CR/LF that was
NOT in the buffer, then PART of the exchange would echo in BLACK, then
it would hang in transmit!  I would hit ESC and go into ALT-K mode to
finish the QSO.  At times I've thought that resetting/rebooting the
computer/Writelog/DXP38 would fix the problem.  However, there's no
clear pattern to this, and the "fix" is temporary!  At first I thought
it was only with the Icom, but finally near the end of the contest, the
problem appeared again while using the Yaesu.  Given the conditions, my
score etc, I finally gave up!

Just now I ran through some tests again.  Tonight I couldn't make the
MARK-V side act up.  However, the Icom side DID show the same problem,
this time with v10.18a.  NOW I can further add that AFTER the problem
occurs, the following behavior is seen:  If I hit the "TU" (INS/0) key
WITHOUT A CALLSIGN IN THE ENTRY WINDOW, the exchange goes out OK as
expected, and all in BLUE etc.  HOWEVER< IF THERE IS A CALLSIGN IN THE
ENTRY WINDOW, THE PROBLEM OCCURS AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.  At this point, hte
same thing happens NO MATTER WHICH F KEY IS STRUCK.  Then if I remove
the callsign from the entry window with ALT-W or backspacing it out,
then all the F keys and the INS key all work again just fine.  Put a
callsign back in, and the problem occurs again.

My buffers all start with %R%C .  I've tried all settings on the rig
polling/PTT options, e.g. NO/YES/SYNC.  I usually have the Yaesu set to
YES and the ICOM to NO, and it's always been fine before these last 2
versions.

Again, I didn't have this problem with several previous versions of
Writelog PRIOR to 10.17f, e.g. several v10 and v9 renditions.

Ron, Wayne - anybody got any ideas?  I don't like it!  I gotta fix it,
got this far...

I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on disk somewhere!
WA9ALS - John
     rig:  MARK-V FT-1000MP http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html
   email:  jfleming@shelbynet.net
homepage:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als (now with Shack Cam!)