[WriteLog] Tuning in PSK31

Don Hill aa5au@msn.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 19:43:23 -0500

The PSK31 tuning in WriteLog is not the best.  However, it is
quite good once you get used to it.  The problem is that the display
is not as defined as some of the other programs.  Personally I
prefer WinPSK's display to DigiPan.  It's not far from WriteLog's
display but it's much more defined than WriteLog.

Because of this lack of definition, it is sometimes hard to distinguish
PSK31 signals from noise.  That's the major problem with the
WriteLog display.  After getting used to "knowing" what a PSK31
signal is suppose to look like you can actually start picking them out
better on WriteLog's display.  It does take practice and experience.

Wayne has done a good job with WriteLog's PSK mode and perhaps
he will one day improve it.  However, after working my first PSK
contest a month or so ago, I can see that it is not a very good contest
mode in my opinion.  Others will disagree.  Only time will tell whether
it will ever become as popular as RTTY for contesting.

As far as WriteLog's RTTY reception using a soundboard, it's great!
I use it everyday and in contests on receive to back up my PK232.  If
you think the RTTY isn't very good in WriteLog, you must be doing
something wrong.  I'd be happy to help in any way I can to fix that.

73, diddle diddle
Don, AA5AU