[WriteLog] Tuning in PSK31

Art Charette k6xt@arrl.net
Mon, 22 May 2000 22:02:34 -0700

I'm with Antony. The Writelog tuning system leaves a lot to be desired.
Manual tuning is a chore and a bore by comparison to waterfall or
spectrogram displays. So, it's a really good thing that the clicking option
is available for when you can actually see the signal.

The waterfall type display is ever so much more sensitive, badly needed in
Writelog since PSK operates so deep in noise.

While I'm at it I'll congratulate Wayne for the dual RTTY display which
makes tuning RTTY pleasant. Unfortunately it doesn't translate at all well
to PSK (as, for example, the waterfall display wouldn't translate to RTTY.
Which line to click on?)

BTW according to K5DJ those of us wanting the waterfall are in the minority.
He says most users vote for the present situation, at least as of when I
asked many months ago. If that good, I have to wonder why WL is the one and
only PSK program I know of to use the flat line approach.

On the other hand, it's a contest program. Not many contests yet on PSK. So
overall, I'm very happy that Wayne included it at all. Better than having to
learn and use yet another logger.

Just my .02.

73 Art