[WriteLog] Problems during CQWW

Laurence 'Mike' Hammer ldh3@cornell.edu
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:48:45 -0500

We had two notable problems at W6XR during the CQWW (besides propagation
and having a hard time getting a few runs going!).

1) The two logging computers are networked together.  One of them crashed
three times during the contest.  (This seems to be RF or common mode
related so I'm not counting the crashes as problems, just the
recoveries.)  We use the Operators function, which apparently modifies the
file format enough so that we couldn't do a clean file restart, which was
necessary as WL wouldn't read the log files on two of the restarts.  If we
restarted by doing new contest and selecting the CQWW, then tried to
connect over the network, we'd get the incompatible file formats error
showing the operator field as a problem.  (Ideally, the restarting machine
would get the operator info over the net and set that back up.)

So we ended up with Operators on one computer and not on the other after
the first 24 hours or so of the contest as we didn't want to go through the
hoops to make it all work again.  Looking back we should have done what I
wanted to do intially, which was get everything set up the way we wanted,
with ops in there and everything, then saved a copy of the empty file from
each computer on the corresponding computer for restarts in this circumstance.

2) The guys down at FS did a good job running using FS/Nxxx (where Nxxx was
their own call sign).  WL somehow thought each of these was a separate
country!  mmmmm, we might have some log massaging to do.

73, Mike N2VR