[WriteLog] Packet spots

W6FFH@aol.com W6FFH@aol.com
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:56:22 EST

In a message dated 11/1/2000 7:38:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ki0lo@yahoo.com writes:

<< I've come to the conclusion that trying to make a good
 Search & Pounce effort is really counteracted by the
 packet spot window - it's just too tempting to rely on
 the spots for working all new stations instead of
 actually turning the knob and listening. We ran MOST
 last weekend using spots and my rates were poorer than
 SOLP efforts I've done previously, when I
 systematically tune the band from one end to the
 other. Packet has a place - particularly for helping
 find the new mults you need, but it can also really
 distract you if you're not careful.

 What really got me last weekend had nothing to do with
 Writelog - but rather what appeared to be blatantly
 bogus spots - I can't count the number of times I saw
 a spot for some new one that I needed, clicked on it
 and heard a 1 or 2 or 3 lander calling CQ *exactly* on
 frequency. Is that a coincidence? I somehow doubt
 it... But it is a somewhat clever way to get around
 the rule against self-spotting...

Marty, I couldn't agree more. I don't use spotting in contests, it's great
for day to day ops., I just got DXTelnet a short time ago and will use it
that way.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and advocate not allowing spot
assistance in all contests, as some contests do. This is going to
cause a lot of controversy. Please just don't call me names!

It goes beyond costing you possibly a lot of time for one mult.
I'll site just one example of how it can ruin the day
for the DX station as well. I heard a Guam station CQ'ing when he
first came on 10 mtrs. A few guys got him and I started to call him
with my very modest signal, but it was mere seconds before the freq.
exploded with callers. It was the worst bedlam I've heard in a long time.
There is no way that many stations just happened to hear him at the
same time. I'm sure it was a posted spot.

The operating practices were so poor with tail-gaters hanging on
trying to be the last call heard and some guy with a DVK just
hitting the button over and over etc., you know the drill.

The result was at least 15 to 20 seconds or more between contacts
for the DX station. He finally resorted to calling the numbers and
limiting to three calls for each area. If he was trying for a good score,
I feel for him. This was only one case that sticks in my mind.
There were several other cases like this that I heard. In fact I found
myself wasting time listening because I just couldn't believe my ears!

What's wrong with getting back to good old tuning and listening and
good operating methods?

I may be totally out in the cold on this, but what I saw in the CQ WW
really turned me off. If you're lucky enough to have good antennas,
location, possibly high power, and can run, great and more power to
you. But if you're a low or QRP station with modest antennas and like
to S&P, you should have a chance. Contests should be for all to enjoy.

Sorry about using the WL reflector for this, probably not the right place
since it has nothing to do with WL (which worked perfectly for me all
weekend by the way). I'm thinking of sending this to the contest gurus
at CQ and ARRL for their consideration, but wanted to see how many
enemies it would make here. Maybe no one had the patience to read
all this.

Don  W6FFH
e-mail w6ffh@aol.com