[WriteLog] Writelog and Japan Radio JST-245 HELP!

Jon Suehiro nn5t@attglobal.net
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:48:18 -0600

I could not read from your e-mail if you could get the frequency control to
JST245 by WL before connection of CW keying or not.

If not working at all from the beginning, check if your RS-232C cable is for
"Null-Modem".   I have the same JST-245 (haven't hooked up with WL but
interfaced with DX4Win.32) and went through the same thing.

BTW, I don't think mine indicate "REMOTE" when used with DX4Win ...   (not
confirmed)

If it doesn't work yet, let me know.   I can go home and check if works at
me or not.

73 Jon nn5t@arrl.net

----- Original Message -----
From: <W0AH@aol.com>
To: <Writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 2:08 PM
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and Japan Radio JST-245 HELP!

I used Writelog for the first time in the CQWW Phone using the contest
logging and computer soundboard capabilities with my IC-706.  No problems.
Today, I thought I'd hook up the computer and Writelog to my JST-245 for
computer/Writelog control of frequency.  If successful, I'd attempt to
modify
the cabling for computer/writelog CW sending.
Unlike my FT-1000 and IC-706, the JST-245 does not need an acessory CI-V
level controller or such.  The transceiver manual says to connect a RS-232C
connector directly from the JST-245 to the computer.  I did that.  I also
went to setup and choose port setup.  I choose the JST-245 and com 3, but
got
a screen saying there was a com conflict.  I choose com 1 and didn't get
that
message screen so I assume there is no conflict.
Problem-  the computer/writelog are NOT controlling the JST-245 frequency.
The front panel of the JST-245 has a LED that says "REMOTE" when the
transceiver is being controlled by a computer.  It is NOT lit up.
I tried com 2 and no difference.  I've rebooted the computer, turned the
JST-245 off and on and still they don't talk to each other.
Here are some questions.  The JST-245 manual says to use a "RS-232C
le(
commercially available crossed cable with 25-pin DSUB male connectors at each
end)".
1) C
ould I be using the wrong cable, one that is not crossed?
2) Is it possible that my version of Writelog bought and downloaded in early
October does not support the JST 245 even though it is listed as a
transceiver option?
3) Do I need to do something in the Writelog INI files to make it work?
4) Have I done something wrong or forgotten to do something?
Doug  W0AH