[WriteLog] Suggestions

MorseCode2000 k1uq@email.msn.com
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:52:00 -0500

Reasonable & Proper can easily be defined:

Reasonable - is when a developer has the ability to include a feature within
current code, and do so with time-to-market constraints, costs, has the
resources, the feature isn't outlandish, etc, etc.

Common - is determined by the number of users requesting the same or similar
feature.  If a lot of people make same/similar request, then it's common.

In many years (over 2 decades) as a beta site tester for high-end CAD
software tools, and as a user of same, this is all standard stuff.  Users
assemble "wish lists" (now developer knows the "common") and submit.  BTW -
these lists are often assembled by users on similar reflectors, by user
groups meeting at state or national level, at conventions, etc.  Tech
support people do same.  All this gets fed back to software engineering,
where decisions are made as to what is "reasonable" - - is it something that
needs to be in the next point release? next feature release? can it be done
inside the existing architecture? does it have to wait for the next
generation product? etc.

THERE IS ONE GLARING DIFFERENCE in my example above as compared to
WriteLog... these CAD tools charge a yearly "Maintenance Fee" (usually 15%
of purchase price).  Your maintenance pays for new feature development (and
bug fixes).  I'm happy to pay this on both a personal as well as corporate
level.  Without a revenue stream, software development may be/become either
a hobby or a commercial project that can run out of fuel (cash!!).  I want
to pay for development so the software can continue to evolve, and do so at
a pace consistent with user demands.

Bill  K1UQ