[WriteLog] filled bandmap slowing processing

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd@writelog.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:29:13 -0000

Yes, 10.21 had an update to the bandmap. It keeps its on-screen
data up to date with your log. As some of you have noted, it
doesn't do that as well as it should: its too slow, and sometimes
it crashes on exit.

10.22 will fix the crash on exit, and it will also speed up the
processing by a lot. "A lot" means that the 10.22 bandmap should
make a neglible CPU load on a 133MHz pentium even with 200 or 300
stations showing (the slowest machine I am testing with these days).

(10.21 has what the algorithm guys call an "order N" problem--the
more spots showing, the slower it gets, and it gets slower linearly
with the number of spots showing.)

Wayne, W5XD

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-writelog@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-writelog@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Bill Heinzinger
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2000 23:01
To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] filled bandmap slowing processing

I noticed that the more entries in the band map the slower my processing
would become.

No big problem. I just right clicked and selected 'remove all'.

The spots came in so fast that it would repopulate with what was needed and
those in black (worked) would just not be included.

My question is:
Is this machine specific. Would my old slow machine be suffering from
overload?

It's hard for me to say what's right, when all I wanna do is wrong.

w9ol@billnjudy.com           http://www.billnjudy.com
w9ol@telocity.com