[WriteLog] W5XD Multi-function Keyer

Dick Green. dick.green@valley.net
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:40:41 -0400

Jim,

I've been using the W5XD+ keyer since before its release (I was a beta
tester) and used the old W5XD keyer before that. I agree with all of Mike's
comments. My observations:

1. Yes, I like it and would do it all over again.

2. I didn't build mine. It was a beta pre-built by Wayne. I modified it to
support both the L and R audio channels from both radios for split operation
with one radio. This is standard on the new boards.

3. N/A

4. I ended up using an enclosure I had built for two-radio switching with NA
(before I converted to WL.) The box has some convenient manual controls on
the front panel ("AUTO, R1, R2"; "AUTO, STEREO, R1, R2"; "PTT R1 ON/OFF";
"PTT R2 ON/OFF", "NA/WL".) I just mounted the W5XD+ board over the existing
relay board. That way, the box supports NA, WL and manual control (guess
which one of those options I never use anymore!) I, too, had no use for the
board-mounted connectors. There's no easy way to make a box to fit them. I
just used wires to connect from the PCB pads to the existing panel-mounted
connectors. I would recommend a board revision to convert the PCB-mounted
connectors to stright pads and DIPs for connectors with ribbon cables (or
something like that.)

5. Of course, the best feature is that there's no stuttering in the CW, at
any speed. Next to that, the support for split audio is crucial for
two-radio contesting. The support for the external paddle is essential with
Yaesu radios (because of their design flaw that you cannot use an external
keyer and the internal keyer at the same time -- like Kenwood radios.) It's
nice that the paddle speed can be controlled from the keyboard or from an
external pot. At first, I didn't think I would use the pot, but it has come
in real handy during contests.

I can't think of anything I don't like about the keyer.

73, Dick WC1M