[WriteLog] Re: [DX4WIN] USB to Serial Ports

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:22:06 -0500

> If anyone has one which works perfectly with ANYTHING, let me know.
>
> Stay away from Entrega and D-link (personal experience.)

I'll just say it one more time, then I'll shut up - promise.

USB to serial - It just depends a lot on on EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT IT TO DO,
AND WITH WHAT HARDWARE.

You definitely can't just get one and expect it to work like a standard, on
board serial port.  I've heard that desktops and laptops handle USB a little
differently.

You either have to be willing to try some out (experiment - $$ and/or hassle
returning), or keep looking until you find one that someone else is using
for EXACTLY what you plan to do.

I've tried 3 now - Targus, Belkin, and White Heat.  Belkin and White Heat
will read the FT-1000MP, but the Targus doesn't.  Belkin and White Heat will
both send 5-bit Baudot on the TD pin, but with varying degrees of success
depending on the software being used.  White Heat is expensive - almost
$300 - but it will send Baudot.  However, it doesn't work quite right with
Writelog buffers, and it doesn't work right with MMTTY.

I have a friend that's using a D-link USB-serial cable with an FT-990 and
interface, and it's working OK with DX4WIN.

"It works with mine" is not an adequate recommendation.  BE CAREFUL!  73