[WriteLog] Networking Questions

Ed Gray w0sd@rapidnet.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:53:44 -0500

These questions arise from using Writelog for our multi-op Sept ARRL VHF
contest.  Writelog documentation say's when using three or more computers
to make one computer the "SERVER".  How do you make a specific computer the
"SERVER"?  I read the Windows 98 help stuff and as usual for me it did not
tell me anything.

I did set the three computers up as described in the Writelog
documentation.  I choose the middle computer for 6 m. and did not link it
to anything under the network link item under setup.  I  linked the
2m.logging computer to the 6 m. computer and I linked the 222/432 logging
computer  to 6 m. also.  Everything worked OK except for one thing which I
will ask about shortly.

When I do a network frequency check under view when that window comes up
not all the computers show up?  Why is this?  Sometimes just one of the
three, sometimes two of the three but never all three.

On what seems to be a related issue when I do a check call and type in a
call it seemed like one of the bands always says OK when in fact we have
worked that station on that band.  When I hit the space bar to move to the
next field then it shows correctly all the bands I have worked this station
but if I do an Alt W then it reverts back to showing one band as OK when it
is not OK to work him.  When not networked I don't remember this as being a
problem.

One can get around this by typing in a call,  hit the spacebar and then you
know but according to the documentation I should just be able to type in
the call?  All of what I have described occurs when I seem to be networked
all OK.  By that I mean network gab works between all the computers, ie a
message sent from any computer shows up on all computers and log enteries
made at any computer shows up on all computers.

ANOTHER NETWORK QUESTION:  This ones seems to be a computer problem but I
could sure use some ideas.  The 2m computer would seem to change state on
the com port and RigBlaster would key the xmiter and then eventually
RigBlaster would unkey and immediately the screen will go blank for a
second and then everything will come back but the computer is not on the
network any longer and I can try and reconnect under setup network link but
I can not hook up again.  As far as I remember under Network Neighborhood
it is the same situation so that is why I say it appears to be a computer
problem and nothing to do with Writelog.

In the June contest we did not have Rigblaster and we were not networked or
partially networked at best but I noticed this same problem.  Any ideas
other than buy/try a new computer?  Thanks!  BTW the other two computers
stayed networked for the total contest, no problems as they should.

73,  Ed W0SD

Ed Gray McCook County Extension Educator-Marketing/Farm Management
Box 130
130 East Essex
Salem, SD 57058-0130

Office phone 605 425 2242