[WriteLog] Auto-CQ Problem with the DXP38

Don Hill aa5au@msn.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:49:02 -0500

I used a new DXP38 this weekend.  It was my first contest with it.
I used it on one radio and used a borrowed PK232 on the other radio.

With the DXP38, when WriteLog is set to Auto CQ, the transmitter
would drop very quickly and then come back on at the start of the Auto-CQ.

It would only happen with Auto-CQ.  Hitting the F keys manually worked fine.
Auto-CQ worked fine on the other radio with the PK-232.

It may have something to do with the DXP38 not being one of the available
TNC's in RTTYrite.  Jay, WS7I, sent me part of his .ini file last week and it
showed he was using his DXP38 in the dumb terminal mode.  Maybe
because I was using mine with RTTYrite set to the DSP-4100 caused this
problem.  I don't know.  I also noticed Jay had some delay timing set in
his .ini file for the DXP38, maybe that has something to do with it?

I know it's not an RF problem getting into the DXP38, because I turned
the radio off and watched the LED on the DXP38 and it would go to RX
very quickly at the start of an Auto-CQ.  It would not happen on the first CQ
of an Auto-CQ and not on every CQ afterward, but about 95% of them it did.

The problem didn't slow me down.  I set my CQ message to:
CQ CQ TEST DE AA5AU AA5AU CQ

The stutter would happen on the first CQ of the string.  I think having a CQ at
the end of the string helped tremendously.  This is the first year I used the CQ at
the end.  I will do it every time now.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks, Don AA5AU