[WriteLog] Re: WL10.26B and FT-847

Katsuyuki ISHII kkii@hcc1.bai.ne.jp
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:17:12 +0900

Hi !

Jerry Pixton wrote:

>But if you had the IR wireless sensor enabled and you said it was on Com 2
>and this was the reason for the funny readings that Writelog was showing. I
>would conclude that Writelog was trying to talk to the IR port on Com 2
>(not com 1.)

Yes.  I had wondered the reason why my Writelog had displayed such funny
things until I found the address for com port 2 was assigned to IrDA in my
portable PC.  I set in BIOS "IrDA - Disabled" now.

>So the next question is what com setting (base i/o address and irq) is
>assigned to the physical serial connector on your portable? Again the BIOS
>might give a clue. You might find the serial port disabled?

I checked the address and IRQ setting for com port 1 both in Serial port windows
in NT 4.0 and in BIOS.  The address is 3f8 and IRQ No. is 4.  Besides I set
Xon/Xoff for flow control.

>Do you have any other device (a TNC, etc.) that you can talk to using a
>serial connection - to see if the serial port itself is functional? And to
>verify what Com it is, Com1 or Com2?

Today I ran a hyper-terminal on my portable PC to connect a TNC and succeeded.
So I think the setting for com port 1 is not wrong.  And I opened Port window
on Writelog and assined com port 1 for CW keying and for PTT control and then
configured "PC generates" for CW Keyer type.  But I could not send any CW
messages and control PTT of FT-847.  5V or 12V is always output from DTR and
RTS.

>I assume that since you had Writelog talking to the FT847 on the other
>computer, that menu #37 is indeed set to 4800 baud???

I have a console PC on which I install Windows NT 4.0.  Of course I tried to
do the same things as I did.  But the results were also the same,  The menu
#37 of FT-847 is set to 4800 baud.  The situation did not become better when
I set the menu #37 9600 baud and set the com port 1 9600 baud.

>So I guess the trouble shooting is down to getting the serial port on your
>portable working. If the serial port does not work with some other device,
>then the question is, has NT installed that hardware and is the serial
>service running??  I am not an NT expert and so can't say how to proceed
>there. I know there is an Events Log that shows problems on startup. You
>can find the viewer for the log on the programs menu, and administration
>Tools, I believe. Read the log for messages about the serial port not being
>able to start up.

Looking at the system log for event viewer, I found

      Date     time     source classifiction event ID user
error 01/04/21 17:52:41 amsint nothing       9        N/A

Comment:Device \Device\ScsiPort2 did not respond until time-out

on my console PC and

      Date     time     source  classifiction event ID  user
error 01/04/21 20:52:41 sparrow nothing       13        N/A

Comment:Driver is constructed by a wrong interruption to \Device\ScsiPort2

on my portable PC.

I wonder if these errorta cause com ports not to be able to start up...
I do not understand their meaning and how to solve them so well.  Please give
me any advice.

de jr4isf

----
Katsuyuki Ishii  kkii@hcc1.bai.ne.jp