[WriteLog] Computer for RTTY use, Gateway Profile- W98 vs. WinME?

Anthony Brooks abrooks@cablenet-va.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:59:14 -0500

Hello Doug,

Here is a simple answer from a simple person.

1.  Writelog and MMTTY will run flawlessly on Win ME.  Does so here.  Not a
point to worry about.

2.  When I was looking for a new machine, I also looked at Gateway.  One
thing to be aware of is some of the machines now don't give you any
expansion slots (PCI or ISA) for later addtions.  I was looking at the
Profile also, but when I took a look at the connector panel on it, I decided
against it.  I went with one of the Performance Series machines.  Although
they require more room because of the larger tower (just sat mine on the
floor next to the desk), they give you the opportunity to expand.  For
example, the Profile has no slots to add a second video or sound card.  My
Performance has two video cards for use with WL.  In the Profile, everything
is mounted on the Motherboard.  When the modem gets a lightning strike, you
can't replace it.

My suggestion would be to get one of the Performance Series machines from
Gateway.  They give you the room to grow without placing limitations on you.
Windows ME, WL, and MMTTY are all very compatible so don't worry about it.
Win 98 and Win ME are similar enough that you will not have a problem
learning a new OS.

Just my two cents worth from the "been there, done that" file.

73 de
Anthony, WM3T