[WriteLog] Computer for RTTY use, Gateway Profile- W98 vs. WinME?

Grant Bright, Ph.D. gbright@bellsouth.net
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:30:32 -0400

Hi Doug and List,

This is a real problem right now. WIN98SE is still very much available
except for the manufactures who are still dominated by Microsoft. I was
able to get one the last Dell 5000e with WIN98SE...it works everything
well.

I have worked on a couple of laptops that were "native ME machines."
Sometimes the drivers for display, sound, CD-ROM work and sometimes they
don't...it can be a real hassle and then you loose support because the
manufacturers will say, "We don't support that computer with WIN98SE."

Dell (or others) has a refurb section...you might check there for a WIN98SE
machine...they have a 30 day return option.

But your best option may be to have a local computer shop (that has been
around for 5 or 10 years) built one for you. Then you can spec it out just
like you want it....and by the way, SoundBlaster still makes the SB16 for
ISA slots ($20). I have two of them, one slowscan and one for RITTY that
requires an ISA slot--they work just fine. I get 5 to 10% better print--on
weak signals with no S meter movement) with RITTY than with a HAL ST 8000,
but occasionally the 8000 gets some letters RITTY doesn't....mainly from
soundcard programs and TUs that deviate from the standards in baudot code
timing.

Good luck in your search,

73s,

Grant