[WriteLog] 10M Contest - Opportunities for Improvement

Steve Baron - KB3MM Steve Baron - KB3MM" <SteveBaron@starlinx.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 02:55:39 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C1876F.79DC87E0

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Prompting of any exchange element should not be done.  Copy what the =
other op sends !

You might also stop using HTML!

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: TOMK5RC@aol.com=20
  To: writelog@contesting.com=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 00:38
  Subject: [WriteLog] 10M Contest - Opportunities for Improvement

  There were a number of opportunities I noticed for improvement in =
WriteLog's 10M template.

  First, entering a call in the entry window should pop up the logical =
QTH in the QTH field, like VE2 =3D QC. W6 =3D CA. When there is no =
logical QTH, it can be blank, unless you have worked the station on the =
other mode, then it should pop up the QTH or the number given in the =
first QSO. NA handles this quite well.

  Second, using the W9XT card, the Writelog.ini file requires different =
F key mapping for phone and CW, so I could use all the features on one =
mode or the other. Also, I could only use the repeat CQ feature on one =
mode or the other or have to change settings every time I changed mode.

  The band map was also cumbersome changing back and forth between CW =
and Phone. The band map also showed partial calls entered in the data =
entry screen. There were lots of JA1 and K2S type entries where the =
entire call was not copied before entering the QTH information.

  The rate meter would lose the "time on - time off" when I closed the =
program. The only way I got an accurate time on-off calculation was to =
add up the information from one of the rate reports.

  In the data entry screen, the cursor should return to where you left =
off filling in a partial call, not at the beginning of the call. The =
packet options should include "10M" so the spots can be seen on both =
modes, not just CW, Phone or All Bands.=20

  Just some ideas for improvement

  Tom, K5RC/NV7A=20

  ---

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C1876F.79DC87E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>ABSOLUTELY NOT.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Prompting of any exchange element should not be =
done.&nbsp;=20
Copy what the other op sends !</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You might also stop using HTML!<BR></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DTOMK5RC@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:TOMK5RC@aol.com">TOMK5RC@aol.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dwritelog@contesting.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:writelog@contesting.com">writelog@contesting.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, December 18, =
2001=20
  00:38</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [WriteLog] 10M Contest =
-=20
  Opportunities for Improvement</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 =

  FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">There were a number of opportunities I noticed =
for=20
  improvement in WriteLog's 10M template.<BR><BR>First, entering a call =
in the=20
  entry window should pop up the logical QTH in the QTH field, like VE2 =
=3D QC. W6=20
  =3D CA. When there is no logical QTH, it can be blank, unless you have =
worked=20
  the station on the other mode, then it should pop up the QTH or the =
number=20
  given in the first QSO. NA handles this quite well.<BR><BR>Second, =
using the=20
  W9XT card, the Writelog.ini file requires different F key mapping for =
phone=20
  and CW, so I could use all the features on one mode or the other. =
Also, I=20
  could only use the repeat CQ feature on one mode or the other or have =
to=20
  change settings every time I changed mode.<BR><BR>The band map was =
also=20
  cumbersome changing back and forth between CW and Phone. The band map =
also=20
  showed partial calls entered in the data entry screen. There were lots =
of JA1=20
  and K2S type entries where the entire call was not copied before =
entering the=20
  QTH information.<BR><BR>The rate meter would lose the "time on - time =
off"=20
  when I closed the program. The only way I got an accurate time on-off=20
  calculation was to add up the information from one of the rate=20
  reports.<BR><BR>In the data entry screen, the cursor should return to =
where=20
  you left off filling in a partial call, not at the beginning of the =
call. The=20
  packet options should include "10M" so the spots can be seen on both =
modes,=20
  not just CW, Phone or All Bands. <BR><BR>Just some ideas for=20
  improvement<BR><BR>Tom, K5RC/NV7A</FONT> <FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2><BR>---<BR>Outgoing =
mail is=20
  certified Virus Free.<BR>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com</A>).<BR>Version: =
6.0.307=20
  / Virus Database: 168 - Release Date:=20
12/11/01</FONT></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C1876F.79DC87E0--