[WriteLog] AFC question

Bob Crossland bcross@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:48:00 +0000

Hello all,

During the past RTTY Roundup I noticed a rather annoying thing happening
to the AFC function.

Let me start by saying when I call CQ I turn AFC on by checking the box
in the tuning window.
Here's the scenario that follows.

I call CQ and someone answers.  I respond with the "Insert" key.  After
my response is sent and the radio unkeys, the AFC is no longer checked.
Now if the calling station is off frequency when they respond with their
exchange (and I would assume if they were off freq with their initial
response they'll be off freq with the exchange), I have to use my RIT to
tune them in.  I then QSL their info, send QRZ and magically the AFC box
is checked again and is active.  Am I doing something wrong to make the
AFC become unchecked during the exchange?

The only thing I could find in the documentation is relative to one of
the release notes.  I believe it is Version 10.09 where the AFC was made
to turn off if there is an entry in the exchange field.  Why?

I'd appreciate any assistance in getting me "tuned back in".  This is a
great product and I simply need to understand it better I'm sure.

Thanks folks.

Bob, N3FR  (ex N3IXR)