[WriteLog] The "Dream" Computer for Writelog

Jim McDonald n7us@arrl.net
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:53:29 -0700

Mike,

I have an IBM T20 Thinkpad at work (owned by my employer).  I don't use it
for radio, but I do love the machine.  It's a 700 MHz, I think, with 256M
RAM.  Has one each serial, parallel, and USB.  Built in NIC and 56K modem
and still has 2 PCMCIA slots.  Display is an awesome LCD, though I don't
remember the size (it's large).  Has a small docking station to make it easy
to dock/undock.  It runs Win 2000, but the emblems say it was designed that
and Win 98.  Has the eraser-head pointer, which I like better than the
touchpad for traveling.  The included mouse is a USB IBM optical mouse,
meant to work without a mouse pad.  The resolution with an external monitor
is high (1280X1024?).  With a notebook, no slots to plug in a video card for
K5DJ-style 2-monitor operation.

Your peripherals would require external USB converters as one serial port
isn't enough.

I use Network Black Ice for firewall purposes with my broadband; I like it.

This is the money-is-no-object machine(for most hams), as it's expensive.

Jim N7US