[WriteLog] The "Dream" Computer for Writelog

Jim Jordan K4QPL Jim Jordan K4QPL" <k4qpl@bellsouth.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:38:55 -0500

Also a newbie with Writelog, but maybe before we worry too much about the
dream computer, we should think about the "dream" software--

Doesn't lose QSO's or multipliers.
Automatically backs up at a user-determined frequency.
Doesn't have a problem connecting to a wide variety of  ports, sound cards
and versions of Windows.
Has adjustable size windows and adjustable width and sortable columns
throughout so one can abbreviate and prioritize as much as one likes to
enable all contest-critical information to be always available at a glance.
Has a bandmap which works for S&P. Need not be pretty but contains
frequency, call sign, qso and dupe status, and relative time since first
entered visible for the entire band at once.
Remembers hardware setups when the program opens, even if another program
has changed sound card or other settings.
Full speed range cw which keys without pauses and can be driven by a paddle
without major extra hardware.

Very possibly due to the inherent limitations of Microsoft Windows--of
whatever version--and the apparently insatiable penchant for gadgetry and
appearance over functionality which afflicts software developers of Windows
programs, this dream may be much further away than the "Dream Computer."

OK, there's my two-cents worth. I do WANT Writelog to be my contesting
software.  I'm doing my best to work through it and to determine whether at
some point in the future I can go into a major cw or ssb contest without
fear using Writelog instead of my fully supported, ultra reliable and
no-nonsense functional, but old-fashioned,  TR-Log. We're not there yet.

73,

Jim, K4QPL