[WriteLog] Re: 2001 CQ/RJ RTTY WPX UBNs.

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:47:31 -0400

On 20 Jun 01, at 19:07, Ed wrote:

> Eddie Schneider wrote:
> >
> > Well now, seeing as Jim went public let me clarify this his
> > particular 'incident'.
> >
> > AD1C wrote:
> > > I too lost a QSO because the other fellow (who has been very
> > active in RTTY contests, just not this time) didn't bother to send
> > in a log.
>
> And Sir Eddie replied:
> > The other fellow DID submit a log, in fact he sent it twice!
> > The contact in question was a 'not in the log' problem, NOT a so
> > called 'unique' problem. The other fellow appears correctly in
> > numerous other logs. The other fellow failed to change bands in his
> > software and logged AD1C on 20m instead of 80m.
> >
> > Now, tell me that this particular contact is valid and I'll go to
> > the foot of my stairs.
> --------------------------------------
> OK, get ready for the stair feet. Who made the error? NOT AD1C..He
> worked the other fellow on 80, logged it correctly, and so forth.
>
> The penalty belongs to the other fellow. Unless you want to hold AD1C
> responsible for the correct logging of every single person he worked.
>
> 73
> Ed

I've kept quiet so far (unusual for me!), but I agree with Ed. A few
select contests (the Sprints, for example) explicitly require both
sides of the QSO to be logged correctly. CQWW (CW/SSB) and
ARRL DX tests do not. If AD1C logged it correctly and the other
guy mislogged the QSO in some way (wrong band, busted call,
etc.) but it was clear that AD1C made the QSO, he should get
credit for it. If the other guy did NOT send in a log, AD1C should
still get the credit.
When I reviewed my UBN from CQWW RTTY, I had 31 QSOs
removed. Most of them were logging SNAFUs (a W4 in zone 16, a
DL in zone 5/NJ, etc) and since I really don't check the log after the
contest, I got nailed for it. However 6 QSOs were uniques and they
were removed. I can only recall one of them explicitly which was an
old-time RTTYer (not a contester or DXer) that I've known for 30
years. We chatted for a few minutes when he called me, then back
to the contest. Guess he called me cuz he recognized the call
then went QRT.
As Sir Eddie said, it didn't affect the outcome, but it theoretically
could have.
There has to be some honesty assumed in a contest. For
example, hi vs. low power, packet vs. no packet, single op vs.
multi, etc. There's no way to prove someone's cheating. If someone
gets "creative" in logging and cheats, there are ways to catch
him/her.
There have been some creative fellows over the years. I recall a
presentation at Dayton one year by K3EST who was showing an
Italian's log that was 100% contrived. He also submitted 4 other
bogus logs, supposedly from various European countries, so his
made-up callsigns wouldn't be flagged as uniques. But they caught
him!
It may be worthwhile for the log-checker(s) to speak with the
CQWW CW/SSB log checkers, who I believe do the best (i.e.,
most accurate) job of log checking in any contest, to find out how
they do things.
73,
Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com