[WriteLog] How to trick the IC-746 to use CW filter for SSB

Bruce A. King Bruce A. King" <baking@gis.net
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:25:31 -0500

> I remember a while back discussion regarding the situation where on the
Icom
> 746 someone was able to fool / trick the radio to use the narrow 500 Hz
> filters when in SSB mode.  I have the filters installed and they work
great
> with the rig set to CW or RTTY but when I switch to SSB for Writelog and
> RTTY via the sound card, the radio defaults to the wide filter and will
not
> allow selection of the narrow filter.
>
> Someone remember the solution?

Here's what worked for me for my Icom 706, worth a try. I have a 500Hz
filter installed. I told the 706 it was the 1.9KHz filter (I'm not in front
of the rig, and don't remember the filter number). This setting tells the
706 it's OK to use this "narrow SSB" filter in SSB as well as CW and RTTY.
The only other changes that I made were to set my PSK center frequency to
500Hz, which means I can leave the IF Shift control centered, and to use Lo
Tones for AFSK RTTY. (Lo Tones is selected from the TU Setup menu in
rttywrite). With Lo Tones selected, the IF shift control on the 706 should
be set to about 2 o'clock. This setup has been working just fine for my
kitchen table extended portable operating here in sunny Florida.

GL & 73 Bruce W1CSM