[Re: [WriteLog] More re XP Upgrade Issues]

ON7UI/Etienne etienne.rosseel@pandora.be
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 23:20:28 +0100

>I've used
>Win2000Pro on my laptop at work and have been very happy with its stability
>and resistance to lockups/hangs/fails.  I was almost first in line to get
XP
>and have been very happy with it.

Well I am not happy with it at all. It will not let me run some of my
'older' payed
software I use regulary.Not with 'compatibility w9xx' or anything. I just
recentely
got this notebook, 1GHz PIII,256Mb and XP preinstalled . The OS is very
stable
, but even then I had to reinstall it because it would not work with my
virus scanner.

>By the way, the magazine editorials (I subscribe to most of them since I
work
>in the computer industry) were about moving your business applications from
>Win2000 to WinXP.  Since XP is Win2000 with added compatibility for much of
>the home and gaming software/hardware, there is no real reason for most
>businesses to consider upgrading.  However, almost every review says that
if
>you're running Win9x of any flavor, and your system can support WinXP (~500
>MHz or faster and 128MB memory minimum) then moving to XP is a no-brainer.
>73, Duane
>
>Duane Calvin, AC5AA
>Austin, Texas

Most of the software that did run very well on my win98 system failed to
work with the XP . The no-brainer sure does not work here. maybe I could
upgrade all software for
$xxx , but I will not do that as for most of it there isn't an
upgrade(yet).It is working well with all MS software, but I just do not
like the OS to say what software I have to use. It is very stable here
because it just
will not run most soft , hi.I am looking for a dual boot system now but as
far as it
will go now XP will not let me do it. XP must be the last Os to be installed
and I can not
figure it out to install win98 with XP preinstalled.Cleaning the hard disk
and reformat it
surely will give trouble with the video and touchpad drivers.

Etienne/ON7UI