[WriteLog] Problems from RTTY contest

Jim Reisert jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:24:32 -0700 (PDT)

> 1. Lots of callsigns weren't auto-highlighted, even if preceeded by a
> DE. So, I had to click on them, rather than just hitting INS. Related
> to this, if a partial-call is in the master.dta file, it keeps the whole
> call from highlighting. For example, if SN2E is in the database, but
> a call such as SN2EEO appeared, couldn't click on the complete
> call.

My favorite violator was 4X/OK1EE/P - that's a lot to have to type in by hand
because OK1EE (only) was highlighted.  It was great having the latest master
callsign file from Eddie G0AZT.

> 2. MMTTY crashed every hour or two with a text message "Lost
> Sound." Fortunately, all that was necessary was close the RTTY
> window, then reopen it. BTW, MMTTY did a great job of copying
> that fluttery stuff (seems like everything was fluttery this weekend!)
> by selecting Multipath. Also, I didn't think of using it till near the
> end, but the AFC worked great, rather than twiddling the RIT.

You know, the last contest I operated (WPX I think), I was using RITTY with
Writelog for the first time and had this sound card problem several times.
Using 10.27G (and RITTY 4.5-something) this time, this problem did not happen
to me even ONCE.  Having the RITTY polar detector available was a real godsend.
 In fact, sometimes I forgot to turn it off, and it made no difference in
reception -- there were a LOT of fluttery signals this weekend.

Being in the northern latitudes this weekend, we really got smoked by the
disturbed propagation.  N4GN was running EU on 10 Sunday a.m. and I could not
hear ANY of the stations that were calling him!  The band did open to southern
Europe later in the day (around 16z).

73 - Jim AD1C

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com