[WriteLog] Recording question

Gil Baron gbaron@home.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:11:32 -0500

--=====================_238716926==_.ALT

Who is ever gong to listen to 24 hours of recorded contest again anyway. I
sure don't see any reason to record a contest. You will never find what you
are looking for anyhow as there is no such thing as audio search.

I guess I just don't get it?

At 23:06 10/21/2001, Georgens, Tom wrote:
>Nick -
>
>You are right on the mark!
>
>I downloaded WMP 7.1 and the the coding algorithms appeared.  By my
>calculations, an 800 MB CD will tolerate about 4.6KB/second.  Allowing for
>an extra hour and 740 MB CD's, anything that records at or below 4KB/s
>should be fine.
>
>Not having a station at home, I am playing on of my daughter's CD's on my
>wife's PC to generate something to record.  The highest performance Mono
>setting sounds pretty good and generates 3.9KB/sec.  I presume that radio
>audio will be OK with even slower sampling.
>
>If only Writelog (more specifically my soundboard) could mix the mic and
>line in, it would be really cool
>
>Thanks for your help
>
>73 Tom W2SC

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_238716926==_.ALT

Who is ever gong to listen to 24 hours of recorded contest again anyway.
I sure don't see any reason to record a contest. You will never find what
you are looking for anyhow as there is no such thing as audio
search.<br><br>
I guess I just don't get it?<br><br>
At 23:06 10/21/2001, Georgens, Tom wrote:<br>
-</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
mark!</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
the coding algorithms appeared.&nbsp; By my calculations, an 800 MB CD
will tolerate about 4.6KB/second.&nbsp; Allowing for an extra hour and
740 MB CD's, anything that records at or below 4KB/s should be
fine.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
am playing on of my daughter's CD's on my wife's PC to generate something
to record.&nbsp; The highest performance Mono setting sounds pretty good
and generates 3.9KB/sec.&nbsp; I presume that radio audio will be OK with
even slower sampling.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
specifically my soundboard) could mix the mic and line in, it would be
really cool</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
help</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;
<dl><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=2>
<dd>-----Original Message-----
<dd>From:</b> Nick Lekic
[<a href="mailto:va3na@rac.ca" eudora="autourl">mailto:va3na@rac.ca</a>]
<dd>Sent:</b> Sunday, October 21, 2001 7:12 PM
<dd>To:</b> Georgens, Tom

<dd>You may have to install Windows Media Player 7.1 to get the MPEG 3
Compression format available to choose from Writelog.
<dd>Here, I am using 32 kBit/s&nbsp; 11,025&nbsp; 3 Kb/s MPEG-3 format
option.&nbsp;&nbsp; File for one hour of recorded audio is 14 Mb in
size.&nbsp;&nbsp; For the entire contest it comes up to 672
Mb.&nbsp;&nbsp; It should fit on 80 minute CD.&nbsp; <br><br>

<dd>Georgens, Tom
wrote:<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite><font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>I am planning to record the WW SSB contest using Writelog and I have
been searching the archives for tips.</font><font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Some people (W2UP, K3WW) have mentioned using MPEG level 3 which
could record the entire contest in under 400MB.&nbsp; This has the added
benefit of fitting on a CD for more permanent archive.&nbsp; However, I
do not have an MPEG choice under Writelog for compression options.&nbsp;
Is this a function of Writelog or the sound card I am
using?</font><font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Assuming that I cannot use MPEG, what other settings have other
people used successfully that could fit in 800MB.&nbsp; This is about
4KB/sec</font><font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>I have tried a few and one of the Microsoft ADPCM options sounded
best for 4KB/Sec.&nbsp; I suppose another option is to record it with
high quality and try to compress it afterwards with software but I
suspect that will be a long job.</font><font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Tom W2SC (8P5A or 8P1A next
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>

</dl><font face="Courier New, Courier">Gil Baron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>
&quot;Baila como nadie te ve&quot; <br>