[WriteLog] starting place

Keith Regli keith@kregli.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:59:45 -0400

Paul,

Get a USB to serial port device:

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10252637&hdwt=30805&loc=14617

I've used this one and it worked for me (for CW).  There are lots of others
(down to around $30) on the market (search for USB +serial at Buy.com or
others).  They "probably" will work for CW.  As many have pointed out, RTTY
(FSK) is not as likely to succeed via the USB to serial approach.

For a serial CW interface try:

http://home.att.net/~k1nu/k1nu/Products/index.html

At the very bottom of the page you'll see a serial port interface for CW.  I
haven't used it, but it should work just fine.  There are a couple of other
Hams selling them as well.

Keith Regli WB6BIG
mailto:keith@kregli.com
http://www.kregli.com/wb6big.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: writelog-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:writelog-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Dinsterdog@aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 1:46 PM
To: Writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] starting place

Hello all,

I am finding writelog to be a lot of fun for SSB contesting but not so much
fun for CW as I still can not figure out what I need to do to get the
computer to send CW to the rig.  I am using a Compaq Presario 1200 with
Windows 2000.  The computer has no traditional comport plugs but instead,
has
2 USB plugs, a monitor plug, and a LPT port for a printer and a port for an
external monitor.  Can someone please tell me what hardware I need to get
the
computer talking to the rig's keyer using the USB port, (as I understand the
LPT will not key the rig using Windows 2000, a method of hooking up the
keyer
to the computer, and a 1-4 step of sorts to get the computer to key the
rig)-
 I am using a IC756Pro-  So much for modernizing the shack with the latest
and greatest laptop and software-

Any suggestions appreciated- I don't want to have to recreate the wheel
here-
Anyone who has this figured out with a similar set up would be a big help to
me...if possible, please email me a ph# and time I can reach you-   my dime-

73

Paul  N0AH/7