[WriteLog] Networking

Marty Tippin martyt@pobox.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:23:53 -0500

At the risk of offending a few people, I'd respectfully request that,
unless you really know what you're talking about, you *not* offer advice on
networking -- it only serves to confuse an already difficult topic.

Much of the information that's been proffered in the last dozen or so
e-mails on the topic has been either dead wrong or, at best, highly
inaccurate, and I feel sorry for those who don't understand the intricacies
of Windows networking and are relying on this forum to solve their problems.

For those having trouble, I'd advise seeking the help of a local computer
expert, as networking setup is not specific in any way to WriteLog;
WriteLog simply sits on top of what must be a correctly configured network.
Barring that, pick up a book on Windows networking (if a "networking for
dummies" book exists, it'd probably be a good investment).

If getting WriteLog to work correctly in a networked environment seems
difficult, that's because it is. Networking in general is not for the faint
of heart, nor those with only a passing knowledge of computers in general
and Windows in particular.

Those who have made it work without knowing what's going on behind the
scenes should consider themselves lucky. I'm a professional Windows
programmer and have been for well over 10 years; my first attempts to set
up networking were as difficult as any programming task I've had to work on.

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com