[WriteLog] Writelog and mmtty

Jon Harder jon@praxisworks.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:45:00 -0000

Jerry, I realize you are hoping to get everything to start all at once, but
the only solution I have found so far is to not try to have the RTTY windows
open automatically at startup.

In other words, making the best of it with manual starts.   When the log
module is up and running with two entry windows, I then open their RttyRite
windows one by one.  This allows separate and smoother startups for each
instance of MMTTY on their respective sound cards.

1. After putting the cursor in the Left entry window, I go to the Window tab
and open the first Rtty Window, check the Options in the MMTTY control to be
sure the first sound card is selected under Misc > Device, and if necessary
move the control panel where I want it.

2. Next I move the focus to the Right entry window, and open the second
RttyRite window for it.  After the second instance of MMTTY has loaded, I
check the Options tab > Misc > Device  to be sure the other sound card is
selected.   And before shutting down I do a file save to get the windows
placed the same way the next time. ... usually.

Sometimes the MMTTY control windows open on top of each other, or attempt to
select the same sound card.  (At least the two RttyRite windows do seem to
remember their Port settings from session to session.)   Now that I've
gotten in the habit of doing this all manually, it doesn't take much time to
get it right.    Setup here is MMTTY 1.62, WL 10.31.  Left radio, TS-850S.
Right is TS-570DG.  SB 64 AWE for left, SB 16 PCI for right.

Computer is happiest when I don't attempt to use a lot of high overhead
selections in MMTTY, and ease off on the processor, which is only an AMD 450
running under Win XP HE.  When I dual boot into Win 98, I can run all the
fancy stuff I'd like.  256 mB RAM.  Eight serial ports is sure a help.

WA9ALS, John, has done quite a bit with dual MMTTY, but I'm not sure his
setup is fully automated either.  I would be very interested to hear from
anyone who has gotten beyond the one-at-a-time mode.

73,  Jon     K1US