[WriteLog] Win98->Win XP?

Georgek5kg@aol.com Georgek5kg@aol.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:52:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/16/2002 3:44:32 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
dj3iw@t-online.de writes:

> I am looking for an easy and
> fast method to transfer my (mainly ham-) software from the WIN98 machine
> to the new one. I want to avoid installing everything from scratch.
> What can the gurus recommend?

Well, I am certainly not a guru, however this is what I would suggest.

1.)  Network the two machines together.  This will require the installation
of NETBEUI network protocol software on the XP machine, and a Ethernet
connection between the two.  I understand that NETBEUI is on the XP CD but
not part of the initial installation.

2.)  Once you have the two machines networked together, you can copy your
data files from your Win98 machine to the XP machine.

3.)  Your program files (MS Word, Excel, WL, etc.) will have to all be
installed as new programs on the XP machine.   You can NOT simply copy the
program files to the new machine.  They must be installed from scratch.

DOS is not supported by XP, but I believe a DOS emulator is provided.  I
believe that this DOS emulator will run some, but not all, DOS programs.  I
do not know how it would work with NA and CT.

Also, in XP, there is no LPT support.  So, if you use the LPT port for CW
keying in WL, you will have to change to COM port keying.  For more into on
this, there is a lot of info in the WL reflector archives.

I am sending a copy of this msg to Fred, NA2U.  He just went thru the same
exercise with a new XP machine and an old Win 98 machine, so perhaps he can
give you more pointers.  I know that Fred found a document on the Internet
that expained XP networking and the NETBEUI installation.

Go to www.google.com and do a search on "XP Netorking".  You will find lots
of helpful information.

GL & 73, George

George I. Wagner, K5KG