[WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW

Eric Scace K3NA eric@k3na.org
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:58:44 -0600

Hi Jim --

   WL will, in its current incarnation, do what you want while running.  Go to the Entry pull down menu and select "Enter sends
Exchange/QRZ".  When this menu entry is checked (on), WL will do the following:

1.  If the cursor is in the callsign field, and you type Enter, and the callsign field is empty, WL will send you CQ message.

2.  If the cursor is in the callsign field, and you type Enter, and the callsign field has characters in it, WL will send the call
and your exchange message.

3.  If the cursor is in one of the other fields in the QSO Entry form, and you type Enter, WL will log the QSO and send your "TU
QRZ" message.

   You can specify which of your F-key messages is your CQ, exchange, and TU QRZ message.  In the WriteLog.INI file, use the
following entries:
CqFunctionKey=11
QrzFunctionKey=3
SendCallExchangeKey=10

   These entries go in the [Configuration] section of the INI file.  Be sure to remember to put "%C " at the beginning of the F-key
message you choose for SendCallExchangeKey; that is what gets the callsign sent.

   You may also find this entry helpful:
MoveNextOnEnter=0
   If '0', when you hit Enter while in the callsign field, the cursor stays in the callsign field.  (I do this because I'm usually
typing in the last couple of letters of the call after I hit Enter.)  If you specify MoveNextOnEnter=1, when you hit Enter, not only
is the call/exchange message sent... but also the cursor moves to the next field in your QSO Entry form.

   For S&P, WL does not use the Enter key (as far as I understand) for this mode of operating.  I've learned to simply poke the
F-key that transmits my call, and to use Shift-Enter to silently log the QSO afterward.

   Oh: this also works for SSB,  in addition to CW and RTTY.  And you never need to use the mouse.  Ctl-P will always take you to
the QSO Entry form.  Space or Tab will move you from left to right from field to field in that form.  Shift-Space and Shift-Tab will
move you from field to field in the opposite direction.

   Hope this helps.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA