[WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 22:12:56 -0500

> I use WL only for RTTY contesting.

Me too, mostly.

> However, it seems that WL requires a "superfluous" keystroke to log a Q
> in either S&P or running, depending on how you set it up.  It also seems
> to require the pressing of a number of different function keys to
> complete a Q.   Please tell me that I am wrong and tell me how to set up
> WL to do what I have described above.

I think you need to turn off "Enter sends exch/QRZ".

Here's one way to do things:

RUNNING:
1.  Hit INS to send exchange to callsign last highlighted.
2.  Hit "+" to send QRZ message and log the QSO - Total of 2 keystrokes to
send exchange, QRZ, and log the QSO - not bad.

S&P:
1.  Hit F4 to send my callsign.
2.  Hit F5 to send my exchange.  (I like to use these 2 because of the space
between them on most keyboards.)
3.  Hit ENTER to log the QSO. - Total of 3 keystrokes to send my call, my
exchange, and log the QSO.

I like having these operations separated.  GL  - 73