[WriteLog] Success - MMTTY x 2 and filter/spectrum question

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt@panix.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 06:54:08 -0500 (EST)

   From: "WA9ALS - John" <wa9als@starband.net>
   Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:55:06 -0500

   Now an interesting observation - If you look at my screenshot at
   http://wa9als.mystarband.net/wlmmttyx2.gif, you will note different
   spectrums.  Both radios are set to the exact same freq - 7.082576 - and
   both are using 350 Hz filters, yet the spectrums are quite different.
   BTW, AFC is OFF on both, as is RIT.

   The PROII (left) is using its all-DSP filters, an the IC-706MKIIG
   (right) is using it's FL-232 350 Hz filter.  UNFORTUNATELY, I can't find
   any RTTY signals to try out tonight!

   Any ideas about the (noise) spectrum differences?

One idea:  You've lied to the MKIIG so you can use the FL-232 on SSB
for AFSK, so the radio thinks the center of that filter is higher then
it really is?

73, doug