[WriteLog] Software Memory Leak (comments)

Dick Green dick.green@valley.net
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:10:20 -0500

Nice explanation, Rick. I would add these comments:

1. Not all memory leaks are the fault of the application -- the operating
system can forget to release allocated memory, too.  Having witnessed
countless hangs and crashes of Windows 95 and 98, as well as inexplicable
episodes of very slow operation that can only be fixed by rebooting, my
conclusion is that the memory manager in those versions of Windows has bugs
and/or design flaws. The memory usage utility often indicates that the
percentage of allocated memory is near maximum, regardless of what's
running. My impression is that these versions of Windows don't do a very
good job of releasing large amounts of unused memory (if they do it at all.)
With only small chunks of RAM available, the system tends to thrash. So far,
I've not seen anything of the sort under Windows 2000 -- memory utilization
seems quite reasonable.

2. The operating system's scheduling and paging algorithms have enormous
impact on performance. The scheduling algorithm determines when each process
or program gets CPU, memory and I/O resources, while the paging algorithm
determines when and which chunks of memory get paged to disk. As you might
expect, these algorithms interact and things can get mighty complicated --
for example, when it's a particular program's turn to run it would be nice
if most or all of the pages it needs are in RAM. This can only be achieved
through some pretty hairy optimization. My impression is that these
algorithms are relatively primitive in all versions of Windows, with the
possible exception of Windows NT/2000. We had much better performance with a
heck of a lot less memory back in the early days of time-sharing (early
1970s.) For example, the DTSS operating system (Dartmouth Time-Sharing
System) comfortably supported 250 simultaneous mainframe users with only
about a megabyte of memory! You can bet that the scheduling and swapping
algorithms were extremely well designed and implemented in that system. The
Honeywell (ex-GE) mainframe we ran on had a much slower CPU than today's
PCs, but it did have better memory and I/O design -- separate memory and I/O
processors offloaded the CPU. I think the I/O bus was faster, too. It's true
that today's programs require *much* more memory than the simpler
applications of the past (a little of that is due to sloppier coding), but
there's no question in my mind that Microsoft doesn't have the best OS
designers in the world.

I'll comment on the problem that raised this issue in another email.

73, Dick WC1M