[WriteLog] Software Memory Leak

Rick Commo Rick.Commo@verizon.net
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:13:08 -0800

Gerry,

Good point.  I didn't want to get into the detail of fixed "pools" of memory
that could be exhausted much, much more quickly than the general memory
space.  Thanks for the tip on System Monitor.  I have never had the
"privilege" of running Win9x/ME since I started with NT 3.5 (and boy was I
glad when they brought out 3.51!)

-ricK7log

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerry Hull [mailto:windev@inetmarket.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 5:46 AM
To: Rick.Commo@verizon.net; writelog@contesting.com
Cc: Writelog
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Software Memory Leak

Hey Rick and Writelog folks,

Since I was the guy who started this memory leak thread, let's bring it
back into the Writelog domain, so that users can relate to the (not yet
clarified) issue.  So, bear with me for a minute and i'll tie this all
together for us Writelog users.

Yes, all the modern Windows operating systems are virtual memory, which
means, essentially, they won't run out of memory in normal circumstances.
However, due to a fact of history and Windows design goals, there are
multiple types of memory used by the Operating System in Windows
95/98/ME which are NOT virtual memory. ...
.
.
.
.