[WriteLog] TS-2000 & Laptop

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 07:44:47 -0500

> Now getting back to the main reason I replied (other than trying to help
Jack),
> I was wondering if those out there using USB-to-Serial adapters could
comment
> on the specific brand, make and model of the one(s) they are using and if
they
> know if they run FSK, radio control on a certain radio, and/or PTT.

Great idea!

Regarding USB serial adapters doing 5-bit Baudot on the TxD line (AKA "doing
FSK"), there are all flavors of doing it - Some just don't do it at all, and
several try to do it, but there are all sorts of problems - timing etc, that
render it useless.  Several of us have purchased and/or traded several of
these things around to learn the hard way...

1.  Belkin - Tries, but no cigar in several hands.  It will transmit, but
timing isn't right and it's useless.  Belkin DOES successfully control
FT-1000MP.

2.  D-Link "cable" - No rig control of FT-1000MP.  No FSK.

3.  Connect Tech White Heat box (4-ports) - Tries FSK, but not right, sort
of like the Belkin.  Does rig control fine.  Expensive, about $300.  Made in
Canada, so maybe a litle more customs issues if you would ever have to send
it back.  This is the one I'm prsently using - works great to control Icom
PROII, IC-706MKIIG, and run my telephone modem.  I also know that it does
rig control for the 1000MP series.

4.  Rocketport 8-port PCI card - High quality, commercial manual and
packaging.  Only does 7- and 8-bit, and thus no FSK.  Controls 1000MP,
telephone modem, etc.  Expensive, also about $300.

If anyone has had different experiences with the above, please post
corrections to Don.  Having a reference for these things can save newcomers
a lot of headaches and some $.  73