[WriteLog] MULTIPLE SOUND CARDS AND WRITELOG QUESTIONS?

wa9als wa9als@starband.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 06:34:47 -0500

The good news is that your 1 computer can easily DO IT ALL!

Your question is a little confusing, but here's a try.  Please clarify a bit
if you don't quite get the answer you're looking for.

1.  You only need 1 soundcard to use your HAL and MMTTY/soundcard.
2.  Since the HAL doesn't need a soundcard, you can run the HAL and any
other soundcard program, including RITTY/K6STI (since you have WIN98).
3.  If you run the HAL, you can also still use both channels of the
soundcard for 2 other things - Use your imagination and read over AA5AU's
WriteLog and RTTY pages carefully, e.g. dual receive.
4.  If you install an additional soundcard, you can even run 2 instances of
MMTTY for some dual receive combination with the HAL or in an SO2R
configuration (www.qsl.net/wa9als.so2r-mmttyx2.htm).

There are a lot of possibilities right now - great time to jump in!

> Can this be done and if so what sound cards would be best?

THis is hard to answer quickly, but the simplest answer is that a Creative
Soundblaster 16 PCI card will work great and should only be about $30.  It
confers full functionality with WriteLog.  Other Windows Soundcards will
work well also - See www.qsl.net/wa9als/sound_results.htm.

> Also will I be able to click on a captured call from any of the running
> programs sending the call sign automatically to the log enter box the way
it
> is being done using one program?

YES!  (You don't even have to click - Just hitting the INSERT key will do
all that too!  Have fun Rich!  73