[WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] Multi-port serial boards

Barry w2up@mindspring.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:43:50 -0400

On 12 Jun 02, at 16:12, K4SB wrote:

<snip>

> As to reinstalling all the software, what happened to the old HD? But
> if you upgraded to a faster larger HD, which I think is a good idea,
> you can just purchase a copy of Norton Ghost at about $40 and do a
> complete transfer of the old HD in about 4-5 mins. And unless your
> kids have a gizillion games on your hamshack machine, a 8 GB HD will
> do perfectly well. I would however, support the faster 7200 RPM 80pin
> HDS going for about $120 in the 20 GB range.

Ed,
Regarding running Ghost, or one of a number of other utilities, I
prefer not to just make a copy of the old HD, because...
1. One of my HDs died. That's why the upgrade (yes, I thought
about just replacing the HD, but the computer is from 1994, a P-60,
and it's time for faster, newer, better).
2. I could copy the good drive, but thenI would
 a) get Win98 instead of XP which comes preinstalled
 b) lose whatever else is preinstalled
 c) more importantly - carry over a lot of junk I've built up over the
years that I don't really need or want
 d) most importantly - bring any glitches/bugs/corrupted files that
have plagued my Win98 system and cause crashes from time to
time.

I've looked at other utilities to copy individual pgms and configs over
to the new system, but I haven't found a reliable one yet, at least
per the reviews online. If you have any other ideas, I'm listening...
Barry